It stands just beside the Moranbong Theatre with a road in between.
It was built in the mid-6th century as the northern gate of the inner walls of Pyongyang. The present one was rebuilt in 1764.
From the period of Koguryo dynasty it was called the “gate of happiness” or the “gate of love” and handed down many legends. Still today many young couples pass the gate in pairs, whispering love in spring when azaleas and apricot flowers are in full bloom.