It was opened in August Juche42 (1953).
It comprises a main building, a large-sized panorama hall showing the Taejon liberation operation and an outdoor weapons exhibition ground, over 80 rooms in all.
The museum reminds visitors of the hard-fought battles during the Korean war.
The large-sized panorama hall is a masterpiece of the museum. It is very impressive for visitors to sit on rotating stalls and picture in their mind the then Taejon liberation operation while listening to a curator.
The Heroes of the DPRK and war veterans give vivid explanations to the visitors.
It was renovated to change its appearance in July Juche102 (2013) on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of victory in the Fatherland Liberation War.