It stands on the bank of the Pothong River in Sinwon-dong, Pothonggang District.
Founded on September 1, Juche 43 (1954) as a school for education of gifted children, it demonstrates the superiority of the socialist educational system in the DPRK.
The schooling system consists of a three-year junior course and three-year senior course. The students who have graduated the primary course with excellent marks from across the country are allowed to enter the school.
The school has a building area of over 70 000 m2 and a total floor space of 28 000 m2. It is furnished with 19 labs and practice rooms including physical and chemical labs and a computer room, music room, gymnastic dance room, indoor swimming pool, library with a housing capacity of over 100 000 books, bathroom, barber’s shop, dining hall and dormitory.
The school, a base of genius education, trains prodigies who will stand in the van of the country’s scientific and technical progress under the care of the State.