It is situated 2 km northeast of central Kaesong.
It was an institution of higher education (similar to a university of today) for training feudal officials in the periods of Koryo dynasty and feudal Joson dynasty. Originally, it was built as a detached palace of Koryo named Taemyong Palace in the early 11th century. Afterwards, it was used as Sunchongwan (a hotel for foreign envoys) and Sungmungwan (Confucian educational organ). After Kukjagam (established in 992), the predecessor to Songgyungwan, moved here, it was renamed Songgyungwan in 1308.
Now it houses Koryo Museum and displays and preserves lots of historical relics and remains showing the Koryo history. It comprises 12 main buildings and 6 auxiliary buildings occupying a total area of 20 000 square meters. There grow a ginkgo tree and a zelkova tree, 1 000 years old, under preservation as living monuments of the country.
Northwest of the old building of Songgyungwan stands a building of Koryo Songgyungwan University in