The Ten-Point Programme for the Great Unity of the Whole Nation for the Reunification of the Country, advanced by President Kim Il Sung at the Fifth Session of the Ninth Supreme People’s Assembly of the DPRK on April 6, Juche 82 (1993), constitutes a great charter for national unity.
It clarifies the general goal and foundations for the ideals of great national unity and sets forth clearly the principles and concrete ways for achieving the great national unity.
The gist of the programme is as follows:
- A unified state, independent, peaceful and neutral, should be founded through the great unity of the whole nation.
- Unity should be based on patriotism and the spirit of national independence.
- Unity should be achieved on the principle of promoting co-existence, co-prosperity and common interests and subordinating everything to the cause of national reunification.
- All political disputes that foment division and confrontation between fellow countrymen should be ended and unity should be achieved.
- The fear of invasion from both south and north, and the ideas of prevailing over communism and communization should be dispelled, and north and south should believe in each other and unite.
- The north and south should value democracy and join hands on the road to national reunification, without rejecting each other because of differences in ideals and principles.
- The north and south should protect the material and spiritual wealth of individuals and organizations and encourage their use for the promotion of great national unity.
- Understanding, trust and unity should be built up across the nation through contact, exchange visits and dialogue.
- The whole nation, north, south and overseas, should strengthen its solidarity for the sake of national reunification.
- Those who have contributed to the great unity of the nation and to the cause of national reunification should be honoured.