It is on Mt Tonghung in Hamhung City built in the period of Koryo dynasty.
As one of the 9 forts built after reclaiming northern part, it was erected in 1108 against the background of Mt Tonghung.
Inside the wall were barracks, arsenals and food depots and on the highest place there was a northern commanding post overlooking the inside and outside of the fort.
At the post there was the Puksang Pavilion, but now in the place where the pavilion stood is Kuchon Pavilion.
The wall played an important role in checking the Jurchen hordes harassing the norher order area in Koryo dynasty and the Japanese invasion in feudal Joson dynasty.